Daily Current Affairs - August 01, 2020
The 6th BRICS Environment meeting held in Russia on 30th July, 2020. The Environment Ministers of the BRICS countries took part in the meeting through a video conferencing under the presidency of Russia.
- Union Environment Minister of India Prakash Javedkar represented India in the meeting.
- He Emphasized India’s concern towards attaining Sustainable Development Goal(SDG).
- The Minister showcased India’s great initiative towards tackling air pollution, marine litter, river cleanliness and sustainable urban management.
- He also offered that India could provide the platform wherein all the best practices in environmental management in BRICS countries could be displayed.
- He invited the five BRICS nations for the upcoming environment meeting which is going to be held in India in 2021.
- The BRICS nations called for initiatives to improve the environment, promote the circular economy in the context of sustainable patterns of production and consumption to be included in national plans for economic recovery after COVID -19.
- The BRICS countries also undertook to share experiences in developing national economic recovery programmes to keep moving towards sustainable development whilst addressing the challenges faced to tackle poverty, inequality and unemployment which have been exacerbated by the impacts of the pandemic.
Related Post :