Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Prakash Javedkar launched a 24 hour dedicated channel DD Assam for the state of Assam on August 4, 2020. He launched the channel through video conferencing.
DD Assam Key Points
- The Channel is a state owned TV Channel and is being telecasted from Doordarshan Kendra, Assam.
- The owner of the Channel is Prasar Bharti.
- According to Prakash Javedkar “The Channel is a gift to people of Assam and this channel will cater to all sections of the population of Assam and will be immensely popular.”
- The Minister also said that the region has immense natural and human resource potential and the connectivity in the state has been improving steadily.
- According to the Governor of Assam Prof Jagdish Mukhi the moment of launch was a happy moment for Assam because the public broadcaster is adding a feather to its knitty with the launch of DD Assam.
- Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said “This channel will boost the growth of Assam in all spheres of human, activities, while at the same time help percolate the initiatives and programmes of the Government to grassroot.”
About Prasar Bharti
Prasar Bharti is India’s largest public broadcasting statutory autonomous body. It was set up by an act of Parliament, Prasar Bharti Act-1990 . The agency was formed on 23 November, 1997. It comprises of two media units – the Doordarshan Television Network and All India Radio. The current chairperson of Prasar Bharti is Dr A. Surya Prakash.
Doordarshan is an autonomous public service broadcaster of India which was established on 15 September 1959. It is one of the two divisions of Prasar Bharati. The organisation is India’s largest broadcasting organisations in studio and transmitter infrastructure. The current CEO of Doordarshan is Shashi Sekhar Vempati.