The Government of Assam is going to launch “Orunodoi“, the largest Direct Benefit Transfer Scheme of Assam on October 2, 2020. Under the scheme over 19 lakh households will get a sum of Rs 830 each every month. The scheme was announced by the Finance Minister of Assam Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma in his Budget speech 2020-21.
Objectives of the Scheme
- The Scheme envisages poverty eradication and socio-economic inclusion of financially vulnerable families of the state through sustained financial assistance by DBT, leveraging cash transfer on a monthly basis, so that underprivileged families are assured of minimum monthly cash flow.
- The other objective is to minimise multiplicity of schemes and consolidate them through the DBT platform in aid of better delivery and outcomes.
What is DBT ?
DBT stands for Direct Benefit Transfer. It is a scheme to transfer the benefits and subsidies of various social welfare schemes directly in the bank account of the beneficiary.
ORUNODOI Scheme – Distribution of Target
- The distribution of target shall be 15,000 beneficiaries per Legislative Assembly Constituency (LAC).
- If the population of LAC exceeds 2 Lakhs then target shall be 17,000 beneficiaries per LAC.
- For the sake of administrative convenience, for identification of beneficiaries, this target will be further divided Gaon Panchayat wise in rural areas and Village Council Development Committee (VCDC) wise in Sixth Schedule Areas etc.,
- In urban areas, it will be divided among municipal corporation, municipalities, and town committees, Assembly segment wise.
- Overall, the scheme will benefit 19 lakh households in the state.
- It is possible that a Legislative Assembly Constituency falls in two districts. In this case, the number of beneficiaries for part of the LAC in one district will be proportionate to the number of voters in that district.
Scope of the Scheme
Government of Assam will provide monthly financial assistance of Rs 830 to the eligible beneficiaries for procuring medicines, pulses and sugar wherein Rs 400 per family per month is to be given to each beneficiary family for procuring medicines for taking care of their health needs, Rs 200 per family per month to provide for 50% subsidy for the 4 Kgs of pulses a family consumes in a month and Rs 80 per month per family which will effectively subsidize 50% of the monthly expenditure they will spend on the 4 Kgs of sugar that they will purchase for the house every month. Separately, Rs 150 per family per month would be provided for purchase of essential fruits and vegetables over and beyond what they grow in their homestead farms.
ORUNODOI Scheme – Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility conditions for benefiting under this Scheme are:
- Applicant should be a permanent resident of Assam.
- Applicant should be presently residing in Assam.
- Composite Household Income of the Applicant should be less than Rs. 2 Lakh per annum.
- The beneficiary (nominated female member) should have a bank account wherein the name in the bank records should match the scheme records.
- In case, the beneficiary does not possess a bank account then a bank account would be required to be opened prior to the date of approval of the application.
- Priority should be given to those households which
- Has widows, divorced female / unmarried female / separated females and any specially-abled member of the House Hold.
- Priority will be given to poorer families whether they are covered under NFSA or not.
Who are excluded from the Scheme ?
The following households shall be automatically excluded from the
- Household without any female member.
- Former and current Members of Parliament (MPs), Member of Legislative Assembly (MLAs).
- Current Members of Panchayati Raj Institutions and Urban Local bodies.
- All regular serving or retired officers and employees of Central/ State Government Ministries / Offices / Departments and its field units Central or State PSEs and attached offices Autonomous Institutions under Government as well as regular employees of the Local Bodies and PSUs.
- All regular serving employees of Cooperatives Societies registered under the Assam Co-operative Societies Act 2007 and is partially / fully funded by the Govt. of Assam or Govt. of India or any of its Ministries / Departments / Offices.
- Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants, Architects and Registered Govt. contractors.
- Income tax payers.
- Farmer families which own more than 15 Bighas of agricultural land.
- Household owning a tractor.
- Household owning four wheeler or mechanised boat. (Having two wheeler is not an exclusion criterion).
- Household owning a refrigerator or Washing machine or Air Conditioner
- The cut-off date for determination of eligibility of beneficiaries under the Scheme shall be 01.04.2020 and shall be considered for eligibility of benefit under the Scheme for next one year.