Current Affairs is an important section to cover if one wish to appear in any kind of competitive exams like APSC, UPSC, all state civil service exams, Railway exams, SSC, RRBs, IAS, ACS, all Government job exams, TET, CTET and different banking exams like IBPS, SBI PO, SBI Clerk , RBI etc. We have covered the latest Top 10 Current Affairs, May – 04 June, 2020. Visit our page regularly to get the latest informations and get updated and prepared for your exams.
Top 10 current Affairs
1. Re-establishment of Pharmacopoeia Commission approved
The Union Government on June 3, 2020 approved the re-establishment of the Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine & Homeopathy. The commissioned will be set up as a subordinate officer under the AYUSH Ministry.
Objective of the Commission
The Commission will prevent duplication and overlapping of drug standardization work. It will also ensure opimal utilisation of resources
- The Pharmacopoeia Laboratory for Indian Medicine(PLIM) and Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia Laboratory(HPL) will be merged into the Pharmacopoeia commission. The two central laboratories were established in Ghaziabad in 1975.
- The merger will help to develop the standards of AYUSH drugs and publication of pharmacopoeias and formularies.
- The quality of Unani, Ayurveda, Siddha and Homeopathy medicine can be controlled.
- After the re-establishment, the Commission will have adequate administrative structure under the Ministry which will help in boosting the capacity and outcomes of pharmacopoeial work, preventing duplication and overlapping of drug standardisation work and optimal utilisation of resources.
- The merger will optimize the use of infrastructural facilities, technical man power and financial resources of the three organizations.
2. Union Cabinet forms Empowered group of secretaries
The Union cabinet on June 3, 2020 forms the “Empowered group of secretaries” in an attempt to make India an investor-friendly nation. The Cabinet meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Objective of the EGoS
To encourage both foreign and domestic investments and to ensure more investments in India.
- The group will be chaired by the Cabinet Secretary. It will consists of members from NITI Aayog, revenue department secretary, secretary of economic affairs, Secretary of department of promotion of Industries etc.
- Project Development cells will be set up that will handhold projects concerning their ministries and facilitate land acquisition.It will act as a coordination between the State Government and Central Government.
- The group will ensure clearances of different departments and ministries on time.
- The group will support global investors in their investment in India.
On a recent mission to space, called the Crew Demo-2 mission, two American astronauts were sent to the International Space Station on 31st may, 2020. The International Space Station is the only laboratory stationed in space. The event can be regarded as a milestone in the history of space science. This is the first ever human space flight performed by collaborating with a private company SpaceX. The two American astronauts are Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley . The duo flew to the ISS onboard a spaceship called Crew Dragon built by SpaceX.
Continue to Top 10 current Affairs
4. GOI launches “National AI Portal” and “Responsible AI for Youth Programme”
The National Artificial Intelligence(AI) Portal is developed jointly by the National e-Governance Division of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology(Meity) and the National Association of Software and Service Companies (Nasscom). The aim of launching the portal is to make it work as a “one stop digital platform” for all AI related developments in the country.
IT minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, also announced the Responsible AI for Youth Programme. It aims at imparting education and skills in AI to students in government schools. This will help to bring the AI education and skills at the school level.
5. India’s first automated Covid-19 testing machine
The Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan dedicated India’s first automated Covid-19 testing machine, the Cobas 6800, to the nation on May 14, 2020. The Cobas 6800 is a completely automated machine that performs high end RT-PCR tests. The machine is capable of providing test results of 1,200 samples in 24 hours. It is placed at National Centre for disease Control, Delhi.
6. Moderna Covid-19 vaccine shows positive response
The US based firm Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine has become the first vaccine to show positive response. It is the first organisation that produced a vaccine to generate antibodies against the Covid-19 virus successfully. The LNP-encapsulated mRNA-1273 funtions on the concept of mRNA. Messenger Ribo Nucleic acid(mRNA) is injected in the blood of covid patients in order to generate immunity against the virus.
Nepal approved a new polititical map on May 19, 2020 by including the territories of Kalapani, Lipulekh and Limpiyadhura. This has sparked a new Indo-Nepal border dispute as the included areas have been claimed by India as well. It can be noted that in October, 2019 India issued a new political map showing Lipulekh and Kalapani within it’s border.
continue to Top 10 current Affairs
8. Indian major Suman Gawani to be awarded United Nation’s Military Gender Advocate of the year award
India’s major Suman Gawani and Brazilian Naval officer Carla Monteiro de Castro Araujo are to be presented with the United Nation’s Military Gender Advocate of the year 2019 award. It is for the first time the award is being shared by two officers. The award was created in 2016. Major Suman Gawani becomes the first Indian to receive this award.
9. Manipur’s KHUDOL declared one of the Top 10 Global Initiatives to fight Covid-19
The United Nations has listed Manipur’s KHUDOL initiative as one of the top 10 global initiatives to fight Covid-19. KHUDOL, a crowd funded initiative by an Imphal based NGO Ya_all has been lauded by the UN for its inclusive fight against the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Under KHUDOL initiative the NGO ensures food, health and hygiene of the LGBTQ community, daily wage earners, HIV infected people, adolescents and children.
10. Dr Harsh Vardhan takes charge of WHO Executive Board
Union Health Minister of India, Dr Harsh Vardhan took charge of the 34-member Executive Board of WHO as Chairman. The 147th Executive Board meeting of World Health Organisation(WHO) held on May 22, 2020.