The Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi launched the ‘Transparent Taxation – Honouring The Honest’ Platform through a video conferencing on August 14 2020.
The PM also unveiled Taxpayers Charter and faceless assessment which are the next phases of direct tax reforms aimed at easing compliance and rewarding honest taxpayers as the government looks to re-built the COVID-19 hit economy.
Aim of ‘Transparent Taxation – Honouring The Honest’ Platform
The aim of the platform is to ensure a free, fair and transparent tax environment in the country by reducing the scope for corruption and overreach by officials.
- ‘Transparent Taxation – Honouring The Honest’ Platform is based on reforms such as faceless assessment, faceless appeal and taxpayers’ charter.
- Faceless assessment and taxpayers’ charter are implemented from August 13 2020.
- Faceless appeal facility will be made available on September 25 2020.
Excerpts from Prime Ministers speech
- PM Modi said that the process of Structural Reforms in the country has reached new heights from the launch day of the platform.
- He said that the focus of the Government in next last six years has been “Banking the Unbanked, Securing the Unsecured and Funding the Unfunded” and that the platform is in the similar direction.
- Th PM praised the role of honest taxpayers in nation building and expressed that making the life of such taxpayers easy is the responsibility of the Government.
- According to the Prime Minister the country’s tax structure needed fundamental reforms as the earlier tax structure was developed from the one created during pre-independent times.
- He remarked that simplified laws and procedures makes it easy to comply .
- The PM said that the ongoing reforms aim at making the tax system Seamless, Painless, Faceless. By seamless he meant Seamless system works to resolve the problems of a taxpayer instead of entangling him further. By Painless he meant everything from technology to rules should be simple. And faceless system means there is no need for a direct contact between Taxpayer and Income Tax Officer.
- Narendra Modi said that the Taxpayers Charter is a significant step where the taxpayer is now assured of fair, courteous and rational behavior. The charter takes care of maintaining the dignity and sensitivity of the taxpayer.