Current Affairs is an important section to cover if one wish to appear in any kind of competitive exams like APSC, UPSC, all state civil service exams, Railway exams, SSC, RRBs, IAS, ACS, all Government job exams, TET, CTET and different banking exams like IBPS, SBI PO, SBI Clerk , RBI etc. We have covered the latest Weekly Current Affairs, July 8 – July 14, 2020. Visit our page regularly to get the latest informations and get updated and prepared for your exams
1. Injeti Srinivas becomes the first Chairman of IFSA
Injeti Srinivas, retired IAS officer from Odisha Cadre , 1983 batch has been appointed as the Chairman of International Financial Services Centre Authority(IFSCA) on 6th July, 2020. He will serve the post for a term of three years.
- The International Financial Services Centre Authority(IFSCA) was established on 27 April ,2020.
- The Headquarter of IFSCA is to be established at Gandhinagar.
- The IFSCA is a unified authority to regulate all financial services such as securities, deposits or contracts of Insurance, financial services, and financial institution which have been previously approved by any appropriate regulator in an IFSC.
- The IFSCA consist of a Chairman, one member each from the regulators under IFSCA Act , 2019 and two members from the Central Government of India.
2. Haryana proposed draft Ordinance to reserve jobs in Private sectors
Under the Chairmanship of the Chief Minister of Haryana, Manohar Lal Khattar the Haryana cabinet has proposed to draft an Ordinance under which 75 percent of the jobs with a salary of less than Rs 50,000 per month will be reserved for the local people of Haryana.
- The proposed draft Ordinance is named as ‘Haryana State Employment of Local Candidates Ordinance 2020’.
- The Ordinance will be presented before the Council of Ministers for approval in the following week.
- After the assent of the Governor of Haryana and President of India it will come into effect.
- The Ordinance will be applicable for all privately managed Companies, Trusts, Partnership Firms, Soceities etc that are functioning in the state of Haryana.
- The Ordinance will have an Exemption Clause for Industries and Businesses where there are no suitable local candidates.
3. Word’s second-largest data centre inaugurated in Panvel
The second largest Tier IV Data centre of the world has been inaugurated in Panvel near Mumbai by Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray . The centre was inaugurated by the CM virtually.
Key Points :
- The Data centre is named ‘Yotta NM1 or NM1’
- The NM1 Data Centre has been developed by Yotta Infrastructure Solutions LLP
- It is the largest data centre in Asia and India.
- It has received certification from the US based Uptime Institute as the largest Tier IV Data Centre in India and Asia and Second largest in the World.
- Once the constrution is completed and becomes full operational it will have a total capacity of 30,000 racks and 210 MW power.
4. ‘Operation Samudra Setu’ Completed by Indian Navy
The ‘Operation samudra Setu’ was launched by Indian Navy on 5th May 2020. It was launched as an effort to repatriate Indian Citizens from overseas.
Key Points :
- The Operation Samudra setu last for over 55 days.
- The Operation started on 8th May 2020 with INS Jalashwa which evacuated 698 Indian Citizens from Maldives .
- During the Operation 3,992 Indian Citizens are brought back to their native land by the sea route.
- A total of 4 Indian Navy Ships have streamed more than 23,000 kms to bring back the Indian Citizens during the Covid Pandemic.
- Indian citizens were mostly evacuated from Maldives, Sri Lanka and Iran.
5.Odisha becomes the First State of India to Use Space Technology & Artificial Intelligence to monitor Government Lands
The Chief Minister of Odisha launched ‘BLUIS – Bhubaneshwar Land Use Intelligence System’ to monitor Government lands in Bhubaneshwar. The launch was accomplished virtually on 8th July 2020. Besides ‘BLUIS‘ the Chief Minister also launched an online application named ‘Litigation Management System’.
- BLUISH is a web and mobile based solution launched to monitor Government lands of Bhubaneshwar.
- It is a geo-tagged repository to monitor and detect all government lands.
- Satellite technology and artificial intelligence will be used to accomplish the task.
- High resolution satellite images will help to safe guard the Government lands from encroachments.
- BLUIS will alarm and guide enforcement staffs if it detects any attempt to encroach and change the use of Government land.
About Litigation Management System
The Litigation Management System is a smart technology- based solution to monitor court cases right from initiation to allotment to government advocates. The system will provide end to end communication between government officials and advocates at different stages of a case.
6. ISRO to launch Brazil’s Amazonia -1 Satellite
The Indian Space Research Organisation(ISRO) is going to launch the Brazilian satellite Amazonia-1 in August , 2020. Amazonia – 1 is the first earth observation satellite to be entirely developed by Brazil.
Key Points :
- India and Brazil signed an agreement on 25th January for cooperation in the field of outer space.
- ISRO will be launching the satellite as part of this agreement.
- Amazonia – 1 will be launched using PSLV from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
- Operations of Amazonia – 1 will be joint with the China-Brazil Earth Resources Satellite Programme.
- The Amazonia – 1 will be the first satellite to be completely operated by Brazil.
7. Sri Lanka and Maldives becomes first two countries to eliminate Rubella and Measles
World Health Organisation(WHO) on 8th July announced that Sri Lanka and Maldives has eliminated both Rubella and Measles and became the first two countries in WHO South-East Asia Region to do this.
The announcement was made after the fifth meeting of the South-East Asia Regional Verification Commission for Measles and Rubella Elimination.
The Committee comprises of eleven independent international experts in the fields of epidemiology, public health and virology.
A country is verified as having eliminated Rubella and Measles when no evidence of transmission of the viruses are seen for over three years in the presence of a surveillance system.
8. PM Modi Inaugurated Asia’s Largest Solar Plant
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 750 MW Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Plant on 10th July, 2020. The inauguration was done through a video conferencing.
- The 750 MW Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Plant is the largest single-site solar power power in Asia.
- It is located in Gurh Tehsil of Madhya Pradesh’s Rewa District.
- The project is completed by a Joint Venture Company(JVC) named Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Limited(RUMSL) that was set up between Solar Energy Corporation of India(SECI) and Madhya Pradesh Urja Vikash Nigam Limited(MPUVNL) .
- The project is worth around Rs 4000 crore.
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation is an institutional customer of the newly launched power project. It will receive 24 percent of the power generated by the Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Power project.
9. Indian Company launches World’s first reusable PPE kits
Loxal Textile Mills, an Indian Manufacturing Company launched the first reusable PPE kit of the world on 9th July 2020.
- Reusable garments and face masks were also launched along with the PPE kits by the company.
- The Loyal Textile Mills achieved this feat in collaboration with Reliance Industries Limited and Switzerland based company – HeiQ Materials AG.
- The branding of the three products will be done as “Supera Shield’.
- All the three products are made with the Viroblock Technology of HeiQ Materials AG.
- Reliance Industries provided the R ELAN Fibre that inhibits bacterial and viral growth.
- The garments and the face masks can be washed for up to 25 times and the PPE kits up to 10 times for reuse.
10. First Bamboo Industrial park in Northeast
The Central Government will set up the first Bamboo Industrial Park in the Northeast in Dima Hasao district of Assam.
- The park will cover an area of 75 hectares .
- It will develop the bamboo-based industry in the State and will contribute the to the over all economy of the State.
- The decision to set up such a park was taken at the initiative of the DoNER ministry following direction of PM Narendra Modi.
- It is believed that the bamboo growers of the State will be highly benefited from the park.
- The decision of setting up a Bamboo park in the State would go a long way in realizing the goal of Atmanirbhar Assam.
11. India becomes the Second Largest Source of FDI for the United Kingdom
The Department for International Trade(DIT) , Government of United Kingdom released the statistics for the number of Foreign Direct Investment(FDI) projects in the Financial Year 2019 -2020. As per the figure India is now the second largest source of FDI in the United Kingdom.
- India has invested in a total of 120 projects in the UK and created 5,429 jobs in the Financial Year 2019-20.
- In Financial Year 2018-19 India was in the third place with investment in 106 projects that created 4858 jobs.
- United States continues to be in the number one spot with 462 projects in United Kingdom that generated 20,131 jobs.
- The FDI in the United States have witnessed an overall 4 percent rise in the Financial Year 2019-20 as compares to 2018-19.
12. India’s First State-Level ‘E-Lok Adalat’ conducted
The first State Level ‘E-Lok Adalat of India was conducted by Chhattisgarh High Court on 11th July 2020. The Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh High Court P.R. Ramachandra Menon inaugurated the first E-Lok Adalat from Chhattisgarh State’s High Court.
- The E-Lok Adalat was conducted through video conferencing.
- It was conducted in 195 benches across the state of Chattisgarh.
- A total of 3133 cases were placed before the benches.
- Out of 3133 cases 848 cases were attended by 24 benches from the capity of Chhattisgarh.
13. Russia Becomes the First Country to Complete Human Clinical Trials for Covid -19 vaccine
Russia’s Gamaleya National Research Centre for Epideomology and Microbiology has successfully completed the Human Clinical Trials for it’s Covid-19 vaccine and the results have proven the medication to be effective.
- The Gamaleya National Research Centre for Epideomology and Microbiology had received approval for clinical trials of two forms of a potential Covid-19 vaccine developed by them from Russian Government on June 18, 2020.
- The trial for the first vaccine was carried out at the Burdenko Military Hospital. The vaccine is a form of solution for intramuscular administration.
- The trial for the second vaccine was carried out at the Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University. The vaccine is a form of powder for preparation of a solution for intramuscular administration.
- The first stage of the research at Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University involved a group of 18 volunteers and the second stage involved 20 volunteers.
14. US remains India’s top trading partner
The United States continues to be India’s top trading partner in the fiscal 2019-20. It shows the increasing economic ties between India and US.
- The bilateral trade between the US and India stood at $88.75 billion in the fiscal 2019-20. It was $87.96 billion in 2018-19.
- In 2018-19 the US first surpassed China to become India’s top trading partner.
- The bilateral trade between India and China dipped to $81.87 billion in 2019-20 from $87.08 billion in 2018-19.
- Before China UAE was the country’s top trading nation.
15. Madhya Pradesh Tops in SVANidhi implementation
The Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shivraj Singh Chouhan informed in a video conference with the street vendors that Madhya Pradesh has topped in Implementation of the Pradhan Mantri Street Vendors Atma Nirbhar Nidhi so far.
- The Madhya Pradesh Government has sanctioned an interest-free loan of around Rs 15.50 crore to 15,500 street vendors in the State.
- There are about 8,70,300 street vendors registered under the scheme as of 12th July 2020.
- Pradhan Mantri Street Vendors Atma Nirbhar Nidhi(PM SVANidhi ) is a central scheme launched on 1st June 2020.
- The objective of the scheme is to help and formalize the street vendors across the country.
- The scheme is funded by Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- The beneficiaries of the scheme receives a financial assistance of Rs 10,000 in the form of interest free loan for a period of one year.
- The interest of the loan is paid by both Central and State Government.
- On timely repayment of the loan the street vendors will be eligible for another loan of Rs 20,000 in the next financial year under the same scheme.