Current Affairs is an important section to cover if one wish to appear in any kind of competitive exams like APSC, UPSC, all state civil service exams, Railway exams, SSC, RRBs, IAS, ACS, all Government job exams, TET, CTET and different banking exams like IBPS, SBI PO, SBI Clerk , RBI etc. We have covered the latest Weekly Current Affairs, June 1 – June 7, 2020. Visit our page regularly to get the latest informations and get updated and prepared for your exams.
1. Biocon Chairman Kiran Mazumder Shaw gets EY World Entrepreneur of the Year Award
Kiran Mazumdar Shaw wins the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2020 at a virtual award ceremony held on 4th June, 2020. Kiran won this award for her contribution in improving universal access to affordable life-saving medicine. The Biocon Chairperson bagged the award from amongst 46 entrepreneurs from 41 countries and territories.She is the first women entrepreneur from India and third Indian to win this award. Kiran became the second women worldwide to hold this prestigious title after Olivia Lum of Hyflux Limited, Singapore. Olivia won the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year Award in 2011.
About Kiran Mazumdar Shaw
Kiran Mazumdar Shaw is an Indian entrepreneur. She was born on 23rd September, 1953. Kiran Mazumder is the Executive Chairperson and Managing Director of Biocon Ltd. She founded Biocon Ltd in 1978 with just two employees. From its inception, Biocon has grown into a strongest innovation-driven biotechnology company with 11000 plus employees at present. Biocon and its subsidiaries brought smiles in millions of faces by providing insulins at affordable rate. It also provides affordable biosimilars to millions of people battling with cancer, rheumatoid arthritis and other debilitating diseases. Biocon is also undergoing some trails with it’s existing novel biologic drug Itolizumab for treating some Covid-19 related health conditions in India.
Kiran Mazumdar Shaw’s other Awards
- EY Best Entrepreneur :Healthcare & Life Sciences Award in 2002.
- Indian Chamber of Commerce Lifetime Achievement Award(2005)
- ‘Corporate Leadership Award’ by the American India Foundation(2005)
- The Indian Merchants’ Chamber Diamond Jubilee Endowment Trust’s Eminent Businessperson of the Year award, 2006.
- Express Pharmaceutical Leadership Summit Award for Dynamic Entrepreneur in 2009.
- The Nikkei Asia Prize(2009) for regional growth.
- Othmer Gold Medal (2014) for outstanding contributions to the progress of science and chemistry.
- EY Entrepreneur of the Year India 2019 Award in February, 2020
2. India to host AFC Women’s Cup to be held in 2022
The Asian Football Confederation announced that India will host the Women’s Asian Cup to be held in 2022.
- The Asian Football Confederation was formed in 1954.
- The AFC consist of 43 member countries.
- The headquarter of the confederation is in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- The All India Football Federation (AIFF) was formed in 1937.
- This is the first time India is going to host the tournament since 1979.
- The tournament is to be held in 2022.
- The All India Football Federation received the hosting rights from The Asian Football Confederation.
- The Indian team won bronze in 1981 and finished twicw as runners in 1980 and 1983.
3. The Spandan Campaign
The Chattisgarh Government launched Spandan Campaign for their Police personals. The move was taken after reports of suicide and fratricide rose in the state within last two years. Around 50 suicide cases of police personals were reported. Besides this 6 ITBP personals were killed at an incident of fratricide.
Aims of the Campaign
The aim of the campaign is to contain incidents of fratricide and suicide among police personnals.
How will be Spandan implemented ?
- Interactive programmes and Counselling sessions will be conducted to check mental state and depressions of the police personals.
- Music and Yoga therapies will be arranged for them.
- The problems of police personals will be monitored through a mobile application.
- Senior police officers will visit police stations, police lines and armed force companies and try to learn about the problems being faced by the personals on duty.
4. Manipur’s KHUDOL declared one of the Top 10 Global Initiatives to fight Covid-19
The United Nations has listed Manipur’s KHUDOL initiative as one of the top 10 global initiatives to fight Covid-19. KHUDOL, a crowd funded initiative by an Imphal based NGO Ya_all has been lauded by the UN for its inclusive fight against the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Under KHUDOL initiative the NGO ensures food, health and hygiene of the LGBTQ community, daily wage earners, HIV infected people, adolescents and children.
5. Union Government notifies two ordinances for Agri reforms.
The Government of India notified two ordinance related to agricultural reforms. The President of India has promulgated the two ordinances with an aim to give a boost rural to India for farmers engaged in agriculture and allied activities.
The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce(Promotion and Facilitation) Ordinance 2020
Farmers in India at present are facing various restriction in marketing their agricultural produce. This ordinance will prove to be a historic step in unlocking the vastly regulated agricultural markets in the country. The farmers will have more options , reduce market price and will get better price for their products.
Aims and Objectives
- The Ordinance aims to promote barrier free inter-State and intra-State trade in Agricultural produce.
- It aims to create additional trading opportunities outside APMC market yards and help farmers get remunerative prices due to additional competition.
- The ordinance will open up ways of implementing the idea of One India, One Agricultural Market.
The Farmers’ (Empowerment and protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Ordinance 2020
This is the second ordinance related to corporate farming. The freedom of farmers should be of paramount importance. It is of utmost necessity that the farmers are given freedom to engage with sponsors of their choice. The ordinance will provide for a national framework on farming agreements that protects and empowers the farmers.
Aims and Objectives
- The Farmers’ (Empowerment and protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Ordinance 2020 aims to empower farmers to engage with processors, aggregators, whole sellers, large retailers and exporters through advance agreements on pre-agreed prices.
- It will reduce cost of marketing and and improve income of farmers.
- It will will transfer the risk of market unpredictability from the farmer to the sponsor and also enable the farmer to access modern technology and better inputs.