Current Affairs is an important section to cover if one wish to appear in any kind of competitive exams like APSC, UPSC, all state civil service exams, Railway exams, SSC, RRBs, IAS, ACS, all Government job exams, TET, CTET and different banking exams like IBPS, SBI PO, SBI Clerk , RBI etc. We have covered the latest Weekly Current Affairs, October 01 – October 07, 2020. Visit our page regularly to get the latest information and get updated and prepared for your exams.
Weekly Current Affairs October 01 – October 07 2020
Top Current Affairs of the Week
- ICGS Kanaklata Baruah Commissioned
- World’s First Asteroid Mining Robot
- World’s longest High-Altitude Tunnel inaugurated
- India test-fired new version of nuclear-capable Shaurya missile
- Swachh Bharat Awards – 2020 presented
- Three scientist won 2020 Nobel Prize in Physics
- SS Kalpana Chawla Cargo Spacecraft launched to ISS
- Monetary Policy Committee members appointed by GOI
- Three scientist won 2020 Nobel Prize in Medicine
- Noble Prize in Chemistry awarded to Emmanuelle and Jennifer
- Indian Coast Guard launched Vigraha
1. ICGS Kanaklata Baruah Commissioned
A fast patrol vessel(FPV) of the Indian Coast Guard(ICG) named after a women freedom fighter of Assam Kanaklata Baruah, was commissioned in Kolkata on September 30, 2020.
- The FPV ICGS Kanaklata Baruah replaced the FPV with same name which was decommissioned in 2017.
- The vessel has been built by Kolkata-based Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE).
- The ship is designed to achieve speeds exceeding 34 knots with an endurance of more than 1,500 nautical miles.
- It can be used for operations like patrolling, anti-smuggling, anti-poaching, rescue etc.
- These ships are fitted with 40/60 Gun as a main armament and have improved habitability features with fully air-conditioned modular accommodation for 35 personnel.
About Kanaklata Baruah
Kanaklata Baruah, an assamese freedom fighter was born in Gohpur, Assam on 22 December, 1924. She lost her life in a British police firing while leading a procession during the Quit India Movement at Gohpur on September 20, 1942. She was only 17 years old at the time of attaining martyrdom.
2. World’s First Asteroid Mining Robot
China is going to become the first country to send out the world’s first ‘asteroid mining robot‘ into space in November 2020. This will be accomplished by a private company, Origin Space from Beijing China.
- Despite being described as an ‘asteroid mining robot’, no actual mining will be done . The robot is a preliminary assessment-field-testing technologies designed for eventual asteroid mining.
- The robot is called as NEO-1 .
- NEO-1 will be probably launched as a secondary payload on a Chinese Long March rocket and will enter at an altitude of 500 km.
3.World’s longest High-Altitude Tunnel inaugurated
Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi inaugurated the world longest high-altitude tunnel, the Atal Tunnel on 3rd September, 2020.
- The tunnel is located above the altitude of 10,000 feet and it is 9.02 km long.
- The tunnel is located in the Pir Panjal range of Himalaya under Rohtang pass.
- The tunnel has a capacity to carry 1500 trucks and 3000 cars per day with a maximum speed of 80 km/hr.
- It reduces the distance between Manali and Leh by 46 km.
- The tunnel was built at a cost of Rs 3,300 crores.
- Some features of the tunnel are – emergency escape at every 500 metres, telephones at every 150 metres, Auto-incident Detection System with CCTV cameras at every 250 metres, Evacuation lightning at every 25 metres, Air Quality monitors at every 60 metres etc.
4. India test-fired new version of nuclear-capable Shaurya missile
On October 3, 2020 India test-fired a new version of nuclear-capable Shaurya missile from the coast of Odisha.
- The Shaurya missile is a complex system having a high-performance navigation and guidance systems and efficient propulsion system.
- The Shaurya missile is a canister launched hypersonic surface-to-surface tactical missile.
- The missile has a striking range from 700 to 1900 kms.
- It can carry a conventional or nuclear warhead payload of 200 kg to 1 ton.
- It is developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO).
5. Swachh Bharat Awards – 2020 presented
Union Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat gave away the Swachh Bharat Awards – 2020 to States, Districts, Blocks and Village Panchayats on 2nd October, 2020.
The awards were presented particularly under the drinking water and cleanliness categories.
The awards were given for three missions –
Swachh Sundar Samudayik Shouchalaya – Under Swachh Sundar Samudayik Shouchalaya –
- Gujrat bagged the first position at state level,
- Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu got the award for cleanliness at District level,
- Khachrod Block in Ujjain district Madhya Pradesh acheived the first position in Block level.
- Chinnanur Village in Tamil Nadu bagged the first slot at Gram Panchayat level.
Samudayik Shouchalaya Abhiyan – Under Samudayik Shouchalaya Abhiyan –
- Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh were awarded as the best performing states.
- Prayagraj and Bareilly got the award for best performing Districts.
Gandagi Mukth Bharat Mission – Under Gandagi Mukth Bharat Mission Haryana and Telengana were awarded the top position under State level category.
Weekly Current Affairs October 01 – October 07 2020
6. Three scientist won 2020 Nobel Prize in Physics
The 2020 Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to three scientist- Roger Penrose, Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez on 6th October 2020 for advancing the understanding of black holes.
- Roger Penrose received half of the prize “for the discovery that black hole formation is a robust prediction of the general theory of relativity“.
- Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez shared the second half of the prize “for the discovery of a supermassive compact object at the centre of our galaxy”.
- Black hole is a region in spacetime where gravity is so strong that nothing can escape from it.
- No particles even electromagnetic radiation like light can escape from black hole.
7. SS Kalpana Chawla Cargo Spacecraft launched to ISS
NASA has launched the Northrop Grumman Cygnus resupply spacecraft to ISS which was named as “SS Kalpana Chawla“. An Antares rocket was used to launch the spacecraft from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport (MARS). The spacecraft will deliver nearly 8,000 pounds of scientific investigations, technology demonstrations, commercial products, and other cargo to the International Space Station(ISS).
8. Monetary Policy Committee members appointed by GOI
Jayant R Varma, Shashank Bhinde and Ashima Goyal have been appointed as the new members of Monetary Policy Committee(MPC) by the Government of India.
- The Monetary Policy Committee was set up in 2016.
- It prepares the monetary policies for the country by using the monetary policy tools such as – bank rate, repo rate, reverse repo rate rate and cash reserve ratio.
- The members of the Monetary Policy Committee are appointed by a search-cum-selection committee that comprises of RBI Governor, three experts in the field of economics and the econonomic affairs secretary.
9. Three scientist won 2020 Nobel Prize in Medicine
Americans Harvey J Alter and Charles M Rice, and British scientist Michael Houghton were jointly awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine or Physiology on 5th October, 2020 “for the discovery of Hepatitis C virus“. Hepatitis C is a chronic disease which is a major cause of liver inflammation and cancer.
10. Noble Prize in Chemistry awarded to Emmanuelle and Jennifer
The Nobel prize in Chemistry 2020 has been awarded jointly to two scientist – Emmanuelle Charpentier of France and Jennifer A Doudna of America for the gene-editing technique known as the CRISPr-Cas9 DNA snipping “scissors”.
It’s the first time a Nobel science prize has gone to a women-only team.
11. Indian Coast Guard launched Vigraha
The Indian Coast Guard have launched a 98 metre long offshore patrol vessel called ‘Vigraha’ at Kattupali, Chennai on October 7, 2020.
- The Vigraha also called Yard-45007 , is a 98m long Ship with a displacement of 2100 knots.
- It can achieve a top speed of 26 knots.
- The vessel possesses advanced navigation and communication equipment. The ship has been designed to carry integral Twin Engine Helicopter.
- It is armed with a 30 mm 2A42 Naval Gun and two 12.7 m guns.